Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Devotional - God's Gifts

Read Romans 12: 1-8

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”
-Romans 8:28 (KJV)

As with many women these days, my days can be crazy - - -between work and the kids, there hardly seems any time. Yet, somehow I find a way to work in volunteerism, book clubs, and homeschooling our children. Although to outsiders, it looks like I am always organized and prepared, inside I’m terrified that I have forgotten something or wondering what I will do if something goes wrong. On one of these particular days, I was particularly harried I ran into my minister. He simply said, “You know, Dawn, Romans 8:28 that is what I always say.” I think the blank stare in my eyes told him that I did not understand the reference. “All things work together for good to those who love God,”(NKJV) he winked and walked away. Immediately I felt better. He was right. I was working for God. I had done all that I could to prepare. It was in God’s hands. I could relax.
“Romans 8:28” is now my mantra whenever I feel unsure or overwhelmed. It even has become a bit of a reassuring chuckle, when as I make brownies for coffee hour, I have just enough flour or when someone comes to volunteer when I haven’t even voiced my need. I have even reminder our minister of this scripture when I’ve seen our minister a bit harried or overwhelmed.

Prayer: Dear God, Help us to find our Godly gifts so that we can better serve you. Help us to improve those gifts so that we show your glory throughout our church, community, and the world. Remind us that that when we do Your work, You stand beside us and carry us when needed. Amen

Thought for the Day
How can you use God’s gifts today?

No comments: