Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sing Unto the Lord

Hear, O kings! Give ear, O princes! I, even I, will sing to the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel." - Judges 5:3 (KJV)

"Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him; Talk of all His wondrous works!" -1 Chronicles 16:9 (KJV)

"Sing praises to the LORD, who dwells in Zion! Declare His deeds among the people.' - Psalm 9:11 (KJV)

Singing was one of my favorite things as a teenager, but just as many other activities and interests; it had gotten pushed aside by the responsibilities of work and family. I could, however, be heard singing song in the shower or as I did my chores. DD picked up on this and started to encourage me to join the choir at church, which I finally did last year.

I hate to report that my range has diminished and I’ve forgotten so much about technique it is truly sad., but it feels so good to sing in church. There are times I actually get the chills (and that’s not just when I hit some horrible dissonant note).. Singing and making a joyful noise makes me think of the way some worshippers transcend space and time and feel one with the spirit. While I am not quite at that point, it is a spiritual experience.

So I encourage all of you, no matter your voice or talent to make a regular joyful noise unto the Lord. It will add another dimension to your worship.

No comments: