Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sinner or Saint

Recently an old friend came by. It was so good to see him. Back in high school, we would talk for hours on the phone discussing all the problems of the world or at least the world as we knew it back then. Many years have passed and we both now have families of our own. As we sat at the table reminiscing, I caught myself staring at a tattoo on his arm. It was he that brought it up, “What do you think it says?”





“Saint”


“Now?” He turned his arm the other way.



I could not make it out at first. “What is the opposite of saint?” he hinted.

“Sinner?”

How easy it would be in life to change so simply. How simple if it was always a clear as choosing which to be. Most of us are probably not purely saint or purely sinner, but more in the middle. We affectionately call this condition “human”. Perhaps after confessing our sins and asking forgiveness, we tilt a little closer to saint, but most of the time we are probably closer to the sinner side. None of us want to admit that. We like to believe that we are living right and certainly most of us strive to live as Jesus, but few of us can actually accomplish it.

Irronically, his arm is more naturally in the sinner position, which perhaps he may think he is more likely to be (I know better though). But maybe it is a reminder to us all that we have to work at doing what it right. It is very easy to sin and fall away. 13". . . For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” Matthew 7:13-14 (NIV)

Each day we need to think about what message we want our life to project. Do we want our sign to say “sinner” or “saint”? What would someone reading your life say that your life says? Is this in line with what you want it to say? How can you change your life so that these two things are in alignment? Remember there will come a day when the sheep are separated from goats. Which group do you want to be in?

Philippians 1:9-11, “I pray that your love will keep on growing and that you will fully know and understand 10how to make the right choices. Then you will still be pure and innocent when Christ returns. And until that day, 11Jesus Christ will keep you busy doing good deeds that bring glory and praise to God.”

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Will could not get this to post so he asked me to.

Dawn,
As in the past you know me more than I know myself and it is strange
how that works. We had a great connection and always will.
The Tattoo is significant to me because it does remind me that I am a
sinner but I do strive to be more of a saint.
I try as I might to live well go to church and be a good father. I have
always held my friends dear and God close to my heart.
In my life I seem to teeter on the fence playing on one side or the
other and all in all it really depends on where I am in my life as to
which side I choose to play on.
I may not be a saint but God has seen it fit to reward me with 3
beautiful children whom I care deeply about and would gladly give my
life for. He has also seen it fit not to put me in jail or get wrapped
up in drugs but rather had me join the service which had been a great
turning point in my life.
If I had stayed on the path I was on when I left high school then I
would surely be in prison for something stupid.
I blamed other people for my shortcomings and I held onto the past for
quite some time. It did more damage than good, however I learned through
God and church that anything is possible and once I started letting go
of things that I had no control over my life became simply better.
I started waking up happy for no reason at all, smiling more and back
to enjoying the little things in life.
it had been a long time since I had enjoyed the little things.
I knew hatred and anger for quite some time and let it eat me up. It
was a friend and an enemy rolled into one.
I had forgotten how to cry and perfected how to be Mr. Scrooge. Not
only on the inside but outside as well.
One day I woke up and decided that I needed a change because I was no
longer happy at all. I could not become happy no matter how hard I
tried.
I turned to god and after a deep depression I started feeling better,
day by day. The funny thing is I would even say to myself tomorrow will
be better. I learned that we can't control things that happen around us
or to us but we can control how we react to them.
It is easier to be nice to people even when they are rude than it is to
argue with them.
I am asked a lot why am I so happy even with all that has happened in
my life and I look at them and say how can I not be? Life is good.
I am alive, probably more alive now than I had ever been.


You brought out the best in me in our conversations years ago and I
have never let go of what or who I can be. I love being the caring
person that I am capable of being.
So when you see my Tattoo it is a reminder that I keep close to me so
that I will hopefully make the right decision when it counts.
Thank you for being a dear friend.
Will