Sunday, November 2, 2008

Be Careful Where You Sit in Church

If you are not careful where you sit in church, you may get drafted into doing things that you don’t expect. Of course, I’m sure that most people will not sit less than 4 ft from their minister during a service, but in our church that is where the choir sits. I sit in the closest seat toward him as I am the tallest soprano. As we are taking communion this morning, suddenly I am being handed the tops to the bread baskets. He whispers, “Please put these somewhere” and then as the offertory comes in, I can see that there is no where to put that either. Communion is spread across the table. I again help out. However, trying to take the plates from him is easier said than done, as his fingers were getting caught between the plates. We did manage though.

Last week, we had a comical go round within the choir about when we should begin our recess. Usually we recess on the last verse of the last hymn, but one of the tenors always signals the number at the beginning of the hymn. The particular hymn last week was short and only had three verses. Murray coded two to which one of the other sopranos coded back three. He coded back three in confirmation / realization of the error to which the minister caught funny, coded “5”. This led to a flurry of hidden finger signals which ended with a very stern three signal. Then all I could think of was 3.1459 . . . which I thought would be a unique place to stop. Of course, I’m not sure how I would have signaled this, but it had me giggling inside all the way through the recession.

So as you choose your seat next week, you better choose wisely ; ) You never know what may be in store.

No comments: