Sunday, November 16, 2008

Dedication Sunday for Operation Christmas Child - Children's Sermon

Please join me today in praying over the 1,000's of shoeboxes that are being sent around the world in the name of Jesus Christ.




I will be giving the children's sermon today for the dedication. If you are interested, here is what I will be saying:

Welcome. I am so happy to see you all again. I want to read a story to you today based on Luke18:35-43. It is about a blind man who gets his sight back

35As Jesus approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. 36When he heard the crowd going by, he asked what was happening. 37They told him, "Jesus of Nazareth is passing by."

38He called out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

39Those who led the way rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!"

40Jesus stopped and ordered the man to be brought to him. When he came near, Jesus asked him, 41"What do you want me to do for you?"

"Lord, I want to see," he replied.

42Jesus said to him, "Receive your sight; your faith has healed you." 43Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God.”


How many of you think that this was a miracle?
How many think that God has worked through you to achieve a similar miracle?

Well, today you are in the process of making a miracle. You are about to make, not one blind man see, but many people see. I believe that many of you brought in items for Operation Christmas Child and almost all of you made notes or pictures to pack with our boxes. Today we are going to bless them and send them on their way.

You are probably saying that is not a miracle. We can’t make someone see with a Christmas present. But I am here to tell you that you are part of God’s miracle and indeed you are opening eyes.

If there was a solid wood wall with a door between you and I, would you be able to see me? If then I opened the door, could you see me then? Doesn’t that mean that you couldn’t see me, but now you can? It is kind of like be blind but then having site.

These boxes that we are shipping all over the world are going to people that may know nothing about Jesus Christ or God. They can’t see him. They’ve never been introduced to Him. It is as if no one has opened the door to let him in, but now you are. You are opening the door and introducing these children to God. You are opening their eyes. You are letting them see God for the very first time. You are creating a miracle.

I want to thank all of you that brought in items, all of you that wrote notes, all of you that will help me after coffee hour wrap our boxes. Because of your efforts, we will be sending at least 20 boxes with the word of God. With your help now, I would like to add the most important ingredient to those boxes:

Before my words of prayer are said, I fold my hands and bow my head:

Dear God: Thank you for working through us to create a miracle. We pray that these boxes travel safely around the world and find just the right hands that you mean to receive each box. We pray that that child might receive the gift of your word and open their heart to all the wonders of Your love. We pray that you comfort them in their pain, support them in their troubles, and that through You they may find Everlasting Life and Love.
Amen

No comments: