Sunday, August 3, 2008

Can You outgrow your Church?

My church has been my church since as long as I can remember. I grew in the congregation and returned to marry and raise my own children within its fold. But lately there is an uncomfortable ache, like a sore tooth that draws your hand to rub your jaw, but not so strong that you call the dentist for help or take a pill to sooth it. An ache that makes me wonder if our church is the place to continue on our journey or is it a comfortable hut along the way that welcomes a weary traveler, but then tricks him into abandoning the journey altogether.

The church has a wonder minister who speaks well and a friendly congregation. The music director teaches us beautiful songs. But where is the substance? Protestants by virtue of the very first protest published by Martin Luther are full of questions. We believe in questioning the very foundations of our religion. But like Martin Luther we must also question if we are crumbling the strength of the whole structure.

The wine is not blood (actually it is not even wine). There may be books excluded from the Bible that we should consider. Jesus’ bones may have been found. The Nicene Creed is a creation of arguing men. Why must our sermons even reflect scripture? We can speak as we wish. Don’t forget to make a donation. All religions speak of truth and can lead us on The Way.

I yearn for something more. I want to converse with the power of God behind me. I want to know His book intimately. I want to understand what He requires so that I may follow in His way. I want to hear His words. I want to speak of the truth as easily as I speak my native tongue.

I don’t want to suppose or guess. I want to know The Way. On the other hand, I cannot follow blindly as men proclaim dinosaurs never existed or that we cannot dance and sing because of the interpretation of one passage. My life is open to God’s direction. My family is ready to move at His whim. We want to be used for His glory.

I think that it is time to get up from the comforts of our shelter and move onward on the path to salvation.

Where are you on your path? Have you ever settled down comfortably and then felt that it was time to grown and move on? What did you do?

No comments: