Thursday, September 25, 2008

All Church Activity - Kick Off Operation Christmas Child

I have to do an all Sunday School activity next Sunday as we kick off our Operation Christmas Child Collection. I am thinking of trying to do a rotational system. The OCC facilitator’s package comes with a great DVD full of videos about the program, but we have watched the video every year. Usually I have all the kids come together, watch a section of the video and then do some sort of note making that we include in the boxes. Last year, we also took a picture of all the kids to include in the boxes too. The problem is that there are so many kids, I’m not sure that they all stay focused. This year I’m thinking of breaking them into four groups maybe pre-k –k, 1- 2, 3-5, 6-8 and then having four stations.

STATION ONE can watch the DVD – there are plenty of different levels so we can choose to watch sections appropriate to their age instead of boring the older children or being too advanced for the younger ones.

STATION TWO can create wrapping paper. Instead of buying wrapping paper, it might be a great idea to have the kids create the paper. I will have to check on prices of butcher paper. We can supply stamps, markers, and stickers to decorate the paper. Note to self: I will need a lot of extra hands in this station.

STATION THREE can create the note cards. The OCC site has a PDF note card that some of the younger kids can do, but I’ll have to think about what the older kids can do.

STATION FOUR - HMMM? Here I may need some assistance – Maybe we can do a verse memorization or a group prayer. Maybe a relay. Perhaps they could decorate some Christmas cookies to serve at coffee hour. I am really open to ideas.

I have a week and a half to get it all pulled together. If anyone else does Operation Christmas Child and does related activities with their Sunday school, I would love to hear about it. We aren’t doing the Children’s Sermon related to OCC until Dedication Sunday in November, so I have barely even begun to think about that.

2 comments:

Red said...

FYI - Operation Christmas Child has a Children's Curriculum called, "Passport to Adventure." It's a missions curriculum for kids K-6. Check it out on their website - it's free to everyone who would like to have it. It has lots of ideas for centers. www.samaritanspurse.ca/occ

Dawn said...

Red, I see the link, but I can't find the actual curriculum. There is not even a link on the US site. I did find some ideas on the UK site. Do you know any more about it?