Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Favorite Sermons?

This weekend as I mentioned I did the Children’s Sermon again, due to the illness of the regular lady. I felt very badly about the situation since the regular woman is still not feeling well. I asked her sons how she was doing. The boys, who are adults, both have special needs. They related how badly their mother felt about not being present at church to give her “favorite” sermon. This favorite sermon has become a bit of insider joke in the church. I cannot tell you how many years she has given the same sermon. The sermon has no scriptural basis, but is related to the children of the church listening to their parents as we all set you for our local fair. Most people were thrilled not to hear this same sermon again. It made me realize that I better be wary of creating a “favorite” sermon. Being able to refer to the sermon as “favorite” may imply that I have told the sermon one too many times.

No comments: