Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Children's Sermon - You Mouth is Your Rudder

I am so happy to see you all here today.

One of the last times that I talked to you, I mentioned that you should think and pray about scriptures. To show you that I was serious about this fact, I would like to show you one way that I do this. I read a devotional. I have found I really like the Upper Room Devotional, but there are all kinds of other devotionals: Devotionals for kids, for moms, for men, for teens, for girls. Devotionals usually have you read scripture and then have some commentary about it. Some devotionals include prayers, related scriptures or quotes, or sometimes even a game or comic. When I was reading mine the other day, September 24th actually, I thought of you all. The topic was “A Gentle Answer” and the reading was James 3:2-12.

First, I thought that the book of James may be one of the lesser known of the 66 books so you may find that interesting. Actually, I thought it might be interesting if you challenged your parents or older brothers and sisters tonight to list as many books of the Bible as they could and then you could check to see how close they were to 66.

Secondly, I thought this would be appropriate because it speaks to my comment about the Bible that although it is an old book, it relates to our life today. The Bible gives us direct instruction about how we are to live our lives. The particular reading for today relates to our mouths.

I assume you all have a mouth. How many of you have a brother or sister? How many of you have parents? Well, then this scripture speaks to you directly.

James 3:2-12 (New International Version)

“2We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.

3When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

7All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, 8but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt[a] water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.”

Have you ever yelled at your brother or sister? Or gotten mad at your parents and said something mean? That is exactly what this scripture is about. If we say that we are trying to be Godly and therefore praise God, should we use the same mouth to be mean or hurtful. If we use our mouth to say prayers, should we use the same mouth to use bad words? When we use our tongue for evil or bad, we aim our entire life in that direction. If you want to do well, then speak well.

The devotional actually goes on to tells a story about a woman who was quite upset. She called to complain about service on her computer. She was really angry and ready to scream at whoever answered the phone, but when the woman answered the phone she was very pleasant, “Hello, how can I help you?” With a little of her thunder stole, she told her complaint to which the woman replied apologetically, “I am so sorry, we will be right over to take care of your problem.” By being nice to the complainer, everyone’s mood changed. Bad was made good.

So I encourage you to live as you believe and to let your tongue direct your body toward goodness.

Let me finally share with you from the devotional, the prayer for that day. Before my words of prayer are said, I fold my hands and bow my head.

“Father, help us to mirror the character of your son, Jesus, not only in good times but also when we are tired, frustrated, and upset. Amen”

No comments: