Saturday, September 6, 2008

Children's Sermon

Being asked to perform the Children’s Sermon is a double edge sword. There is a dear sweet lady that usually does our children’s sermon, but she is unable to do it this week. The problem is that Mrs. N, although very well meaning, tends to give kindergarten lessons instead of a sermon that has any relationship to God and the Bible. She gives us stories of cows, rare plants, and snowmen. Sometimes she even reads children’s books directly. As a fellow bibliophile, I appreciate good books, especially children’s books, but I just don’t get the connection. She is great at telling stories. I, and several of the other congregants would just appreciate it if she would somehow tie her stories into the Bible, the commandments, Jesus’ life – something. Sometimes she comes so close, I can hear the scripture in my mind, but it never comes out of her mouth.

A few times, I have done the children’s sermon and received many compliments. Some people even asking that I would do the children’s sermon always; all of them ending their comments with an appreciation of the use of scripture. They say that we should take the job away from Mrs. N, but I don’t want to do that. I appreciate all that she has done for our church and her family is an inspiration. I want to do a good job tomorrow, but I don’t want to cause anymore chatter.

No comments: